A cylindrical pot with a plunger and built-in filter screen that presses hot water through ground coffee: that’s the simple beauty of the French press, method of choice for many the world over, creating an earthy, rich taste in the cup. The secret is all in the grind: choose medium, with uniformity and consistency throughout. Very coarse grinds may clog the filter, while very fine grinds will pass through the filter, muddying the results.
Press like the best:
- Place the pot on a dry, flat surface. Hold the handle firmly, then pull out the plunger.
- Add a heaping tablespoon (7-8 grams) of coffee to the pot per 200 ml (6.7 oz) of water.
- Pour hot water—not quite boiling—into the pot, and gently stir.
- Carefully reinsert the plunger into the pot, stopping just above the water and ground coffee (do not plunge yet), and let stand for 3-4 minutes.
- Press the plunger down slowly, exerting steady pressure.
Buy a French Press and Get Pressing
Bodum Eileen French Press
from: Best Buy
Quickly brew your favorite morning beverage with this French press, which allows you to manually make multiple servings of coffee in just 4 minutes. The permanent 3-part mesh filter promotes deep, rich flavor, and a dishwasher-safe design makes cleaning simple when you’re finished.
Bonjour Maximus 8 Cup French Press
from: Best Buy
Stylish, yet durable, design with jewel-tone stainless steel frame and lid offers a stylish addition to your kitchen. Flavor Lock filtration system allows you to stop brewing once the desired strength has been reached.
Espro Coffee Travel Press
from: 1st in Coffee
Perfect for commuting or camping, the Espro Coffee Travel Press allows you to brew excellent coffee directly in an insulated travel mug. Espro for deep, rich flavor only a coffee press provides.