We know that Chemex sounds a bit like chemical and therefore you’re wondering … can something called Chemex make good coffee? The answer to that is no. It will make great coffee.
If you’ve been to a specialty coffee shop, you’ve probably seen the Chemex even if you’ve never ordered one. It just looks like a simple piece of glass. And therein lies the secret. The Chemex produces pure drip coffee with less bitterness.
Here’s a good method to get you started:
- Rinse your paper filter to get rid off any paper taste. Don’t forget to pour out the rinse water.
- Place filter in brewer, thick side of filter towards spout.
- Set Chemex on scale and zero.
- Add 18g freshly ground coffee (medium drip) and zero scale.
- Gently pour 40g of water just off boil onto the coffee bed to form bloom.
- Wait 15 seconds – lean in and smell the bloom!
- Gently add another 30g of water into the center of the coffee bed, forming a second bloom slightly higher in the filter.
- Subsequent pours should maintain the level of the second bloom for the rest of the brew. Gently pulse pour 25 grams of water at a time into the center of the bed in 15 second intervals, maintaining the top layer of grounds (crust) as long as possible and allowing the water level to slowly rise and fall. A very gentle pour allows gravity to be the force of the extraction, pulling the water evenly through the entire coffee bed.
- Towards the end of the brew (time should be ~2:15 seconds), sink any remaining crust with a final pour to 300g.
- Draw down should take 15-30 seconds for a total brew time of ~2:40 minutes.
Buy Your Chemex and Get Pouring a Great Cup of Coffee
Chemex Bundle – 2 Items: 6-cup Classic Glass Coffeemaker and FC-100 Pre-folded Circle Filters
Experience the coffeemaker that was selected by the Illinois Institute of Technology as one of the 100 best designed products of modern times. The Chemex Classic glass pour-over coffeemaker is elegant in design, and delivers a flavor experience not to be missed.
Hario VDC-02W V60 Ceramic Coffee Dripper, White
User controls the flow, timing and temperature of the water for better brewing
Bartelli Paperless Pour Over Coffee Dripper – Stainless Steel Reusable Coffee Filter and Single Cup Coffee maker
The perfect alternative to disposable paper filters, which rob your coffee of essential oils and nutrients. Designed to fit on most cups, mugs, thermoses, small pots, and even carafes.
Melitta Porcelain #2 Cone Brewer
This is the one I have at home. Designed to fit most coffee mugs and carafes. Allows for optimal coffee flavor brewing and extraction.